SECTION 08 88 13: FIRE-RATED GLAZING
SuperLite® I 20 minute and
SuperLite® I 20 minute with Starphire® Ultra-Clear Glass by Vitro
Looking for the Word Document instead?
PART 1: GENERAL
A. Section Includes: Fire rated glazing
- SuperLite® I fire protective, safety rated, specialty tempered glazing material for 20 minute interior and exterior applications.
- Applications of fire rated glazing include:
a. Fire rated glazing as vision lites in fire rated door applications.
b. Fire rated glazing as openings in fire rated frames.
B. Related Sections:
- Section 01 33 23: Shop Drawings, Product Data and Samples.
- Section 08 11 13: Hollow Metal Doors and Frames.
- Section 08 11 16: Aluminum Doors and Frames.
- Section 08 12 13 Fire-Rated Aluminum Frames.
- Section 08 14 33: Stile and Rail Wood Doors.
- Section 08 41 13 Fire-Rated Aluminum Framed Entrances and Storefronts.
- Section 08 80 00: Glazing.
A. American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM):
- ASTM E152: Methods of Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
- ASTM E163: Methods of Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
- ASTM E2074-00: Methods of Fire Tests of Door Assemblies, including Positive Pressure Testing of Side-hinged and Pivoted Swinging Door Assemblies.
- ASTM E2010-01: Standard Test for Positive Pressure of Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
B. National Fire Protection Association (NFPA):
- NFPA 80: Fire Doors and Windows.
- NFPA 252: Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
- NFPA 257: Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
C. Underwriters Laboratories, (UL):
- UL 9: Standard for Safety of Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
- UL 10B: Standard for Safety of Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
- UL 10C: Standard for Safety of Positive Pressure Tests of Door Assemblies.
D. Standard Council of Canada (ULC):
- ULC Standard CAN4-S104: Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
- ULC Standard CAN4-S106: Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
E. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):
- ANSI 1: Safety Glazing Materials Used in Buildings – Safety Performance Specifications and Methods of Test.
F. American National Standards Institute (ANSI):
- CPSC 16 CFR 1201 I & II: Safety Standard for Architectural Glazing Materials.
G. Glass Association of North America (GANA)
- GANA – Glazing Manual.
- FGMA – Sealant Manual.
H. [American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Section 1605, Title XVI Buy American Provision]
I. [Insert building code used by Authority Having Jurisdiction]
1.3 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
A. Performance Requirements: Provide a fire rated glazing manufactured, fabricated and installed to maintain performance criteria stated by manufacturer without defects, damage or failure.
- Fire Rating: 20 minutes without hose stream.
- Fire protective, safety rated, specialty tempered glass tested in accordance with NFPA 80, NFPA 252, NFPA 257, UL 9, UL 10B and UL 10C.
B. Listings and Labels:
- Fire rated glazing shall be under current follow-up service by a nationally recognized independent testing laboratory approved by OSHA and maintain a current listing or Assemblies shall be labeled in accordance with limits of listings.
A. Submit listed submittals in accordance with Conditions of the Contract and Division 1 Submittal Procedure Section.
- Shop Drawings: Submit shop drawings showing layout, profiles and product components.
- Samples: Submit 6×6 glass samples.
- Technical Information: Submit latest edition of manufacturer’s product data.
1.5 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
A. General: Comply with Division 1 Product Requirements Sections.
B. Ordering: Comply with manufacturer’s ordering instructions and lead-time requirements to avoid construction delays.
C. Delivery: Deliver materials to specified destinations in manufacturer’s or distributor’s packaging undamaged, complete with installation instructions.
D. Storage and Protection: Store off ground, under cover, protected from weather and construction activities and at temperature conditions recommended by manufacturer.
1.6 PROJECT CONDITIONS
A. Field Measurements: Verify actual measurements for openings by field measurements before Show recorded measurements on shop drawings. Coordinate field measurements and fabrication schedule with construction progress to avoid construction delays.
A. Project Warranty: Refer to Conditions of the Contract for project warranty provisions.
B. Manufacturer’s Warranty: Submit, for Owner’s acceptance, manufacturer’s standard warranty Manufacturer’s warranty is not intended to limit other rights that the Owner may have under the Contract Documents.
- Warranty Period: Lifetime limited warranty from date of shipping for monolithic 5-year limited warranty from date of shipping for insulated versions.
PART 2: PRODUCTS
2.1 FIRE RATED GLAZING
A. Material: [SuperLite® I 20 minute specialty tempered glazing] [SuperLite® I 20 minute with Starphire® Ultra-Clear Glass by Vitro specialty tempered low-iron glazing] without hose stream.
B. Manufacturer: SuperLite® I as manufactured and distributed by SAFTI FIRST®.
C. Design Requirements:
- Thickness: Must be 1/4” (6 mm) ½” (12 mm) available.
- Weight: Must weigh 0 lbs./sq. ft.
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient: Must provide 82 SHGC.
- Sound Transmission Rating: Must provide STC 28 rating.
- Appearance: Must be [specialty tempered] [low-iron specialty tempered] float glass.
- Visible Light Transmission: Must meet 88 for clear tempered.
- Fire Rating: Must be fire rated to 20 minutes without hose stream test.
- Impact Safety Resistance: Must meet CPSC 16 CFR 1201 I (150 ft. lbs.; limited to 1,296 sq. in.) & II (400 ft. lbs.; up to maximum size tested).
D. Manufacturer’s Fire Rated Glazing Material:
- Each piece of fire-rated glazing material shall be labeled with a permanent logo including name of product, manufacturer, testing laboratory, fire rating period and safety glazing standards.
- Glazing material installed in Hazardous Locations, subject to human impact, shall be certified and permanently labeled as meeting applicable requirements referenced in NFPA 80:
a. CPSC 16 CFR 1201, Category I & II
E. Substitutions: No substitutions
A. Glazing Accessories: Manufacturer recommended fire rated glazing accessory as follows:
- Glazed with EPDM tape or other flame resistant gasket material and calcium silicate setting blocks.
2.3 RELATED MATERIALS
Note: Basis of design for fire rated framing system is GPX® Framing as manufactured by SAFTI FIRST®
A. Glazing shall be installed in an equivalently rated framing system.
2.4 SOURCE QUALITY
A. Obtain fire rated glazing products from a single manufacturer.
B. Fabrication Dimensions: Fabricate to approved The general contractor shall guarantee dimensions where practicable within required tolerances.
PART 3: EXECUTION
3.1 MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS
A. Compliance: Comply with manufacturer’s product data including product technical bulletins and installation instructions.
A. Site Verification of Conditions: Verify substrate conditions, have been previously installed under other sections, and are acceptable for product installation in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
A. Installation shall be in strict accordance with the fire glazing material manufacturer’s Field cutting or tampering is strictly prohibited.
3.4 CLEANING AND PROTECTION
A. Protect glass from contact with contaminating substances resulting from construction Remove such substances by method approved by manufacturer.
B. Wash glass on both faces not more than four days prior to date schedule for inspections intended to establish date of Substantial Wash glass by method recommended by glass manufacturer.
C. Remove temporary coverings and protection of adjacent work areas.
D. Remove construction debris from project site and legally dispose of debris.
END OF SECTION
In the interest of continuous improvement of its product line, SAFTI FIRST® reserves the right to modify its products’ composition, colors, textures, sizes, and other physical, performance attributes, and these guide specifications at any time. SAFTIFIRST® makes no expressed or implied warranties regarding content, errors, or omissions in the information presented.
Specifications modified or rewritten not in conformance with manufacturer’s standard processes, products, and procedures may void warranties and related remedies. © 2023 SAFTI FIRST®.
Last updated April 2023.