PART 1 GENERAL
A. Section Includes: Fire rated glazing
1. SuperLite® II-XL 90 fire resistive, safety rated glazing material for interior and exterior applications.
2. Applications of fire rated glazing includes:
a. Fire rated glazing in full-vision temperature rise doors and exterior windows in fire rated frames.
B. Related sections:
1. Section 01 33 23: Shop Drawings, Product Data and Samples
2. Section 08 80 00: Glazing
3. Section 08 88 00: Special Function Glazing
4. Section 08 11 13: Hollow Metal Doors and Frames
5. Section 08 11 16: Aluminum Doors and Frames
6. Section 08 12 16.13: Fire-Rated Aluminum Frames
7. Section 08 14 33: Stile and Rail Wood Doors
8. Section 08 41 13.13: Fire-Rated Aluminum Framed Entrances and Storefronts
9. Section 08 43 13.13: Fire-Rated Aluminum Storefronts
10. Section 08 44 13: Glazed Aluminum Curtain Walls
11. Section 08 44 18: Glazed Steel Curtain Walls
A. American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM):
1. ASTM E119: Methods for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials.
2. ASTM E152: Methods for Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
3. ASTM E163: Methods for Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
4. ASTM E2074: Standard Test Method for Fire Tests of Door Assemblies, including Positive Pressure Testing of Side-hinged and Pivoted Swinging Door Assemblies
5. ASTM E2010-1: Standard Test for Positive Pressure of Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
B. National fire Protection Association (NFPA):
1. NFPA 80: Fire Doors and Windows.
2. NFPA 251: Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials.
3. NFPA 252: Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
4. NFPA 257: Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
C. Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL):
1. UL 9: Standard for Safety of Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
2. UL 10 B: Standard for Safety of Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
3. UL 10 C: Standard of Safety of Positive Pressure Tests of Door Assemblies.
4. UL 263: Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials.
D. Standard Council of Canada:
1. ULC Standard CAN4-S101: Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials.
2. ULC Standard CAN4-S104: Fire Tests of Door Assemblies.
3. ULC Standard CAN4-S106: Fire Tests of Window Assemblies.
E. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC):
1. CPSC 16 CFR 1201: Safety Standard for Architectural Glazing Materials.
F. Glass Association of North America (GANA)
1. GANA – Glazing Manual.
2. FGMA – Sealant Manual.
G. National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC)
1. NFRC 100: Procedure for Determining Fenestration Product U-Factors.
2. NFRC 200: Procedure for Determining Fenestration Product Solar Heat Gain Coefficient and Visible Transmittance at Normal Incidence.
H. [American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
1. Section 1605, Title XVI Buy American Provision]
I. [Insert building code used by Authority Having Jurisdiction]
1.3 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
A. Performance Requirements: Provide a fire rated glazing manufactured, fabricated and installed to maintain performance criteria stated by manufacturer without defects, damage, or failure.
1. Fire Rating: 90 minutes with hose stream.
2. Fire resistive, safety rated glazing tested in accordance with ASTM E119, NFPA 80, NFPA 251, NFPA 252, NFPA 257, UL 9, UL 10B, UL 10C and UL263.
3. Testing Laboratory: Fire tests shall be conducted by a nationally recognized independent testing laboratory.
B. Listings and Labels:
1. Fire rated glazing shall be under current follow-up services by a nationally recognized independent testing laboratory approved by OSHA and maintain a current listing or certification. Assemblies shall be labeled in accordance with limits of listings.
A. Submit listed submittals in accordance with Conditions of the Contract and Division 1 Submittal Procedure Section.
1. Shop Drawings: Submit shop drawings showing layouts, profiles and product components.
2. Samples: Submit 12×12 glass samples.
3.Technical Information: Submit latest edition of manufacturer’s product data.
1.5 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
A. General: Comply with Division 1 Product Requirements Sections.
B.Ordering: Comply with manufacturer’s ordering instructions and lead-time requirements to avoid construction delays.
C. Delivery: Deliver materials to specified destinations in manufacturer or distributor’s packaging.
D. Storage and Protection: Store off ground, under cover, protected from weather and construction activities and at temperature conditions recommended by manufacturer.
1.6 PROJECT CONDITIONS
A. Field Measurements: Verify actual measurements for openings by field measurements before fabrication. Show recorded measurements on shop drawings. Coordinate field measurements and fabrication schedule with construction progress to avoid construction delays.
A. Project Warranty: Refer to Conditions of the Contract for project warranty provisions.
B.Manufacturer’s Warranty: Submit, for Owner’s acceptance, manufacturer’s standard warranty document. Manufacturer’s warranty is not intended to limit other rights that the Owner may have under the Contract Documents.
1. Warranty Period: 5-year limited warranty from date of shipping.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
2.1 FIRE RATED GLAZING
A. Material: SuperLite® II-XL 90 minute fire resistive glazing with hose stream.
B. Manufacturer: SuperLite® II-XL as manufactured and distributed by SAFTI FIRST®.
1. Contact: 100 N Hill Drive, Suite 12, Brisbane, CA 94005; Telephone 888.653.3333; email email@example.com; Web site www.safti.com.
2. Fire rated glass and framing must be provided by a single-source, US manufacturer. Distributors of fire rated glass and framing are not to be considered as manufacturers.
C. Design Requirements:
1. Make-up: Must be comprised of an inboard and outboard lite of [clear tempered glass] [Starphire® Ultra-Clear Low-Iron Tempered Glass by Vitro®] protecting a clear, fire resistive, intumescent interlayer.
2. Thickness: 1-1/2” (39 mm) standard profile. 1-1/4 thin profile available.
3. Weight: 12 lbs./sq. ft. in 1-1/2” (39 mm) standard profile.
4. Dimensions: Must meet max. clear view area of 4.,876 sq. in., measuring at least 124 in. on the long side.
5. Outdoor/Indoor Transmission Class: Must provide minimum OITC 40 rating in 1-1/2” (39 mm) standard profile.
6. Appearance: Must be tint-free, optically clear fire rated glazing.
7.Visible Light Transmission: Must meet [0.853 with clear tempered] [0.895 with Starphire® ]
8. Fire Rating: Must be fire rated to 90 minutes with hose stream and meet ASTM E-119.
9. Impact Safety Resistance: CPSC 16 CFR 1201 Cat. I & II
10. Hard Body Impact Classification: Must meet ASTM C1629/C1629M Level 3.
11. Soft Body Impact Classification: Must meet ASTM E695 Level 3.
12. Surface Abrasion Resistance: Must meet ASTM D4977 Level 3.
13. Customization: Available in insulated, energy performance, bullet-resistant, blast- resistant, hurricane-resistant, laminated, tinted, patterned, frosted, mirrored, reflective, segmented, decorative and more.
D.Manufacturer’s Fire Rating Glazing Material:
1. Each piece of fire-rated glazing material shall be labeled with a permanent logo including name of product, manufacturer, testing laboratory, fire rating period and safety glazing standards.
2. Glazing materials installed in Hazardous Locations, subject to human impact, shall be certified and permanently labeled as meeting applicable requirements reference in NFPA 80:
a. CPSC 16 CFR 1201 Cat. I & II
E. Substitutions: No substitutions allowed.
A. Glazing Accessories: Manufacturer recommended fire rated glazing accessory as follows:
1. Glazing with EPDM tape or other listed flame resistant gasket material and calcium silicate setting blocks.
2.3 RELATED PRODUCTS
Note: Basis of design for fire rated framing system is GPX® Framing as manufactured by SAFTI FIRST®.
A. Glazing shall be installed in an equally rated framing system.
B. Pressure glazing is allowed.
2.4 SOURCE QUALITY
A. Obtain fire rated glazing products from a single manufacturer.
B. Fabrication Dimensions: Fabricate to approved dimensions. The general contractor shall guarantee dimensions where practicable within required tolerances.
PART 3 EXECUTION
3.1 MANUFACTURER’S INSTRUCTIONS
A.Compliance: Comply with manufacturer’s product data including product technical bulletins and installation instructions.
A. Site Verification of Conditions: Verify substrate conditions, have been previously installed under other sections, and are acceptable for product installation in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
A. Installation shall be in strict accordance with the fire glazing material manufacturer’s specifications. Field cutting or tampering is strictly prohibited.
3.4 CLEANING AND PROTECTION
A. Protect glass from contact with contaminating substances resulting from construction operations. Remove such substances by method approved by manufacturer.
B. Wash glass on both faces not more than four days prior to date schedule for inspections intended to establish date of Substantial Completion. Wash glass by method recommended by glass manufacturer.
C. Remove temporary coverings and protection of adjacent work areas.
D. Remove construction debris from project site and legally dispose of debris.
END OF SECTION
In the interest of continuous improvement of its product line, SAFTI FIRST® reserves the right to modify its products’ composition, colors, textures, sizes, and other physical, performance attributes, and these guide specifications at any time. SAFTI FIRST® makes no expressed or implied warranties regarding content, errors, or omissions in the information presented. Specifications modified or rewritten not in conformance with manufacturer’s standard processes, products, and procedures may void warranties and related remedies. © 2023 SAFTI FIRST®.